The Bluebirds suffered a second three-goal defeat of the season, crashing out of the Carabao Cup against Championship rivals Luton Town.

Only 4,111 spectators turned out for the cup clash, which is the lowest attendance for a first team match at Cardiff City Stadium, beating the 4,194 who watched a 3-1 FA Cup home win against Colchester five years ago.

Cardiff slumped to a 3-0 defeat at Reading in the Championship a couple of weeks ago – and suffered again during Luton’s visit.

They have one fixture left before the international break and that is against Fulham at home on Friday.

Manager Neil Warnock named six under-23 players in Cardiff City’s 18-strong mhtchday squad for their Carabao Cup second round tie against Luton Town at Cardiff City Stadium.

Ciaron Brown, Cameron Coxe, James Waite, Shamar Moore, Tavio Kouakou d’Almeida and Jack Bodenham were all included, while visitors Luton made 11 changes from their starting line for the win against Barnsley at the weekend.

Skipper Alan Sheehan was included for his first appearance of the season following summer surgery.

Luton dominated during the first half possession and were judged to have had 78 per cent possession. The Hatters won the central midfield battle with Will Vaulks and Callum Paterson struggling to find some cohesion through the middle.

The visitors went ahead when Cardiff failed to close them down In midfield and Junior Hoilett was slow getting back to help Ciaron Brown stop James Bree’s run down the Luton left. Hoilett tried to recover, stretched out a leg and watched in horror as the Bree cut back hit the Canadian and rolled into the far corner.

Cardiff were poor as a unit during the first half, trailed 1-0 at half-time, and Warnock tweaked his formation by sending on 18-year-old Shamar Moore after 65 minutes. Hoilett moved narrower in midfield to add an extra body in central midfield and that did result in better possession stats for the home team.

The Bluebirds, though, conceded a second goal when Sheehan smashed a free-kick past Day from 25 yards. The goalkeeper looked slow to move as the ball fizzed past him into the corner after 63 minutes.

Then City’s back four, who looked organised and solid for a long time, got themselves into a tangle and Jake Jervis ran on to fire past Day (70 mins).

Warnock sent on young substitutes Moore and Waite, both making their professional debuts, and both did well on an evening when the Bluebird were disappointing.

Moore played on the right and was lively, while Waite operated just behind main striker Gary Madine, who was the other substitute used.

The back four did okay until they failed to defender adequately before Luton’s third goal, but in midfield and attack City failed to impress.

It was a performance which left Warnock with plenty to ponder.